The National Industrial Court yesterday in Abuja ordered striking members of Joint Health Sector Union (JOHESU), to suspend the on-going strike and return to work from today.
Justice Babatunde Adejumo gave the order after listening to the submissions of Mr Okere Nnamdi, in an ex-parte motion filed by a Non-Governmental Organisation (NGO).
The NGO – Incorporated Trustees of Kingdom Human Rights Foundation International – in the motion, prayed the court to order the workers to resume work and go back to negotiation table.
Adejumo, who is also the President of NICN, ordered Minister of Health, Minister of Labour and Employment, among others, to immediately set up a committee to address issues raised by the helth workers.
The judge ordered that the parties should arrive at an acceptable and amicable solutions in the interest of Nigerians who are bearing the brunt of the strike.
The judge also ordered that the President and Vice President of JOHESU, should attend such negotiations.
He said that the negotiations should take into consideration the provisions of the National Salaries, Income and Wages Act.
Respondents in the suit are the President and Vice President of JOHESU and National Salaries, Income and Wages Commission.
News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), recalls that JOHESU commenced strike on April 17, to demand for upward adjustment of CONHESS salary scale, and employment of additional health professionals.
Other demands are implementation of court judgments and upward review of retirement age from 60 to 65 years.
The matter was adjourned until June 4 for hearing of motion on notice and originating summons
Also yesterday, the Federal Government and JOHESU officilas were locked in a series of meetings to end the strike.
News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the union and the Federal Government are making steady progress toward resolving the impasse and end the strike.
Minister of Labour and Employment Senator Chris Ngigie said marathon meetings were held on Wednesday before it resumed yesterday.
He said that the CONHESS table that corresponds with the 2014 CONMESS adjustment with the Medical Doctors had been appropriately addressed by the National Salary Income and Wages Commission.
The minister said this had been given as an offer in the spirit of equity.