Find the latest bookmaker offers available across all uk gambling sites www.bets.zone Read the reviews and compare sites to quickly discover the perfect account for you.
Tuesday , 11 December 2018

Offa robbery gang leader, linked to Saraki,dies in custody

Micheal Adikwu, the prime suspect and gang leader in the Offa bank robbery where at least 32 people were killed on April 5, 2018 is dead.

The Offa roberry became controversial after the police accused Senate President Bukola Saraki and Governor Abdulfatah Ahmed of sponsoring the suspects.

The two top Kwara politicians denied the allegations.

Mr Saraki, who unlike Governor Ahmed enjoys no immunity from prosecution, was questioned by the police for his alleged role in the scandal.

During the controversy, the police moved the suspects to Abuja and refused to cooperate with Kwara authorities for their trial.

Wednesday’s happening in court appears to show the police have now handed the suspects to the Kwara legal team for prosecution.

The police are also yet to prosecute Mr Saraki and have kept mum on his alleged role since saying further investigations were ongoing.

Kwara State Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Kamaldeen Ajibade, SAN disclosed this at a Kwara State High Court today, when five of the six principal suspects were brought to court.  The five suspects arraigned were Ayoade Akinnibosun, Ibikunle Ogunleye, Adeola Abraham, Salaudeen Azeez and Niyi Ogundiran.

However, Michael Adikwu, a dismissed police constable who was said to have confessed to being the mastermind of the bloody operation was not in court during the arraignment. When the case came up, Ajibade, who said that his office received the case file of the robbery operation on Monday evening explained that the head of Police investigation team, Abba Kyari informed him that one of the suspects, Michael Adikwu was dead.

Ajibade said the police was yet to give details of Adikwu’s death and that the five suspects brought to court could not be charged until an amendment was made on the charge sheet.

According to him, we have the names of six suspects on our charge sheet, but they brought five suspects, we cannot go on with the case until we amend the charges because we can not prosecute a dead person. The Attorney General also said that the case could not go on because the suspects had no legal representation.  He, however, urged the court to adjourn the case so that the charges could be amended and the suspects could get legal team to represent them.  It would be recalled that two lawyers who were representing the suspects announced their withdrawal from the case last week.

Justice Halima Salman adjourned the matter till November 30, 2018 and ordered that the suspects get a legal team.

About Younews Ng

Check Also

EFCC Raids Atiku, Orji’s Sons Apartments in Abuja

A building housing an apartment occupied by two sons of Atiku Abubakar was searched by ...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *