The 15-year-old Ekene, even after learning that UNILAG will not offer him admission due to his age, is still hoping that something can be done to enable him secure university admission.
Ekene is 15 and UNILAG’s law states they can only admit students 16 years and above. But, Ekene still believes something could be done.
“I know it is their law and, if it is the will of God, something can done to change the situation. I know I cannot change the law on UNILAG admission criteria. But I hope someone can come to my aid on this age issue,” says Ekene.
“Initially, I wasn’t aware of the UNILAG law which states a student must be 16 years old. Based on that I picked UNILAG as first choice. It is the university law, no one is above it. If I don’t get support from government or JAMB on the age issue, I may wait for next year to write another UTME but if I get scholarship I will accept it. I prefer scholarship that will enable me travel abroad.”
Ekene speaking to Daily Sun said his focus is to get a scholarship and go abroad to study Chemical Engineering at MIT.
The 15-year-old student from Imo State, who is currently writing the May/June 2019 West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE), says if he does not get admission or a scholarship, he will prepare for another UTME next year.
*I targeted 370, says Ekene, UTME best candidate.
* I went to school in Lagos from Primary to secondary.
* I was always representing Lagos in tough competitions and in Jamb I met most of the questions that I encountered in the competitions. The Deputy GOVERNOR knows me and she calls me “my son”.
* I love Chemistry and mum is a Chemistry graduate. She is always using the laws to sing. Everything about her is Chemistry.
* I will read Chemical Engineering. My mum and I have chosen my research topic. It will be on Bio Fuel. I have started preliminary research on it.
* A private University has offered me a scholarship but my mum said I will not go if it is not a full scholarship. My dad was wicked by NITEL so we have no money. He was not paid his pension for so long. He went into biz which failed. Buhari paid him the money which he used for the biz.
* I was given double promotion in Primary school so I finished Secondary School at 15.
* Me, I thought I am from Lagos but my dad said we are from the East that I will soon know the place.
* My detailed score: