The Board of Directors of Diamond Bank has announced the resignation of Dr Alex Otti effective October 30th 2014 and the appointment of Mr. Uzoma Dozie as its new Group Managing Director effective November 1st 2014.
The Bank’s Board approved the appointment of Uzoma Dozie as Group Managing Director/ CEO- designate subject to CBN approval.
2. Uzoma Dozie who is 45 years old, began his banking career 20 years ago spanning various roles and functions related to Credit and Marketing, Planning and Financial Control and Business Process Re-engineering.
3. He is currently the driving force behind the Bank’s market leadership in the Nigerian Retail Banking space, championing major innovations in e-banking (Diamond Mobile app), banking the un-banked (Diamond Yello and BETA proposition) and masterminding the strategy for promoting a seamless transition to a cashless economy.
4. Uzoma Dozie graduated in 1991 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry from the University of Reading, Berkshire England. He obtained a Master of Science degree in Chemical Research from University College, London in 1992. As he progressed in his professional career, he enrolled at the Imperial College Management School, London, where he obtained an MBA with specialisation in Finance (MBA finance) in 1998.
5. He started his banking career from Guaranty Trust Bank Plc in 1993 where he worked in the Commercial Banking Unit, and later moved to Citizens International Bank Limited where he worked in the Oil and Gas Division. In 1998, he joined Diamond Bank Plc as an Assistant Manager and Head of the Bank’s Oil and Gas Group where he expanded the Bank’s Oil and Gas businesses.
6. Having acquired years of experience in business development, Uzoma moved to the Financial Control Group of the Bank in 2000 and rose through the ranks to become the Bank’s Financial Controller. As the Financial Controller, Uzoma was charged with the responsibility of managing the Bank’s balance sheet, developing various MIS reports and reporting the Bank’s financial records to regulatory authorities. While in Financial Control, Uzoma served in various Management Committees including the Assets and Liabilities Committee, Cost Management Committee, Personnel Management Committee, New Products Committee, Management Credit Committee, and other ad hoc Committees at various times. He implemented various initiatives including laying the foundation for the deployment of paperless office programs and improved Management Information Systems.
7. In 2004, Uzoma spent time with the Amalgamated Bank of South Africa (ABSA) where he was exposed to the rudiments of Retail Banking and Wealth Management, Organizational Behaviour and Human Resources Management. Upon his return, he set up the Personal Banking Group with focus on offering propositions to the Affluent and Mass Market customer segments (Retail Business). Uzoma developed various partnerships with business franchises for retail business growth, created market awareness and developed various retail propositions to drive liability generation.
8. Following his success in Personal Banking, Uzoma was appointed an Executive Director in 2006. In 2008, he was reassigned the Corporate Banking portfolio where he was responsible for managing and developing relationships in Oil and Gas, Power, Infrastructure, Construction, General Commerce and Manufacturing businesses. In 2010, Uzoma’s responsibilities were expanded to include acting as the Bank’s Chief Financial Officer (CFO) following the retirement of the erstwhile CFO. As the acting CFO, Uzoma oversaw the Bank’s corporate strategy, Financial Management, Business Transformation and Investor Relations.
9. In February 2011, following the appointment of a new CFO, Uzoma’s responsibility was modified to cover Corporate Banking and all Businesses in Lagos and West regions. While in charge of Corporate Banking and Regional Business, Lagos, Uzoma developed and nurtured business clienteles in the middle market and national corporate segments, in addition to his corporate banking functions.
10. In January 2014, he was re-assigned to the Retail Banking Directorate and appointed Deputy Managing Director in April 2014. During his banking career, Uzoma attended various local and offshore training programs including the High Performance Leadership Program in IMD International, Sao Paulo, Brazil; Program for Management Development at Harvard Business School; Credit Risk Analysis and Management at Citibank, New york. He is currently the Secretary of Harvard Business School Alumni Association of Nigeria (HBSAN).
The Board believes that Uzoma’s wealth of experience, remarkable leadership skills and strong mentorship capabilities will serve to help the Bank achieve its short and long term goals especially in the highly competitive Banking industry in Nigeria.