A serving army officer has been accused of involvement in the $2.1bn arms procurement scandal under the former president Goodluck Jonathan’s administration.
It was reportedour on Wednesday, January 6, that the 27-man task force investigating the arms deal scandal had traced N400m to the army officer’s account.
According to a senior operative of the EFCC, the commission was still probing other accounts of the army officer with a view to finding out if more discoveries could be made.
The source said: “The commission has traced N400m to the account of a serving security operative. The shocking discovery was made just before the New Year.
“Efforts are still being made on more investigation into the matter. The motive is to go after some of these funds that are in private accounts.”
The source, who was silent on whether the officer had been arrested or not, said the anti-graft commission was planning to make a series of arrests in security circles very soon.
Reports had surfaced on Monday that a top military officer was picked up by the anti-graft commission in connection with the arms deal scam.
Also a serving colonel and a German citizen were picked up by the EFCC in connection with the ongoing investigation into arms procured under the Jonathan administration.
A top operative of the commission had disclosed that the commission had written to the Defence Headquarters and the heads of the three services of the armed forces for the release of some personnel needed by the anti-graft agency to shed light on their roles in arms procurement in the past administration.
Meanwhile, Tony Anenih, a former Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Board of Trustees (BoT) chairman wrote to the EFCC, explaining how he disbursed the N260 million he received from the office of the national security adviser.
It was reported that the EFCC would invite nine prominent northerners who were mentioned in the letter.